Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"Leftoverture"

Funny how music can take you somewhere.

I don't know why it popped in my head to put "Leftoverture" on, but I did.

I have very fond memories of this album. Back in the Dark Ages (the 70's), my Aunt Teddy and cousins Lonnie and Laura lived with my grandparents in Sedco Hills. Back then, the freeways from here (CA-91 and I-15) didn't connect to Lake Elsinore and Sedco Hills, so it was a big deal going there.

My brother and I would spend a few days or even a week there during the Summers. Kindasorta gave my folks a break from us (and us them LOL) and we loved staying there! My grandpartents loved having us...

Anyway, Lonnie is about seven years older than me. We had a special "kinship." We both are redheads and I laughed at his jokes. He also had cool rock'n'roll long hair. I mean LONG!

I dug music at a pretty early age, so that was something he could share. He was in high school then. My grandpa had a few aluminum sheds in the back. Lonnie took one over had made it into his music room. He found an old console stereo (you know, a piece of furnature that played music), fixed it up and moved his records out there. He had a little sofa and come cool lights in there.

Lonnie was always very cool to me! I mean, can you imagine being 17 and having your 10 year old cousin hanging around?

A lot of the music I listen to was influenced by Lonnie. He introduced me to a huge range of music. My Rush thing is totally because of him. I remember him buying "2112" new and inviting me to the shed to listen to it!

Lessee... He was totally into Kiss (and who wasn't?), Rush, Kansas, ELO, Black Sabbath, The Moody Blues, Aerosmith (specifically "Toys in the Attic"), Boston, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd... Well, you get the picture.

So, how did this rambling post start? Oh yeah...

I popped in "Leftoverture." As the opening riff "Carry On Wayward Son" started, I was immediately taken back 29 years. I swear I could smell the dry brush in the hot air, cigarette smoke, incense and the burning dust on the tubes of that console stereo. I could see the small strand of Christmas lights hanging on the ceiling and the old desk lamp he had over the record player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home